Monday, February 15, 2010

An Eco Shave...

Shaving can be an environmental nightmare. When I was 11 years old, I first started shaving my legs. My mother bought me a slim pink Gillette razor with replacement blades. How times have changed! Today's razors are extremely bulky and complicated- leading to more waste in producing them and making them harder to dispose of.

But I have this thing about shaving: I like it. My goal, my creedo, is this: you can still be kind to the environment without embracing the "dirty hippie" stereotype. My goal is to look like an average citizen (No Lilith Fair Paula Cole arm-pit beard for me!) but still reduce my carbon footprint.

There are environmental options.



Preserve is a brand that makes two styles of razors fashioned from recycled stonyfield yogurt cups. When you are done with their products, you can print a pre-paid mailer from their website and mail the items back to them to be recycled (or as I like to say "twice-cycled")

Double Razors (available on Preserve Website Only)- $7.25 for a Four Pack and $5.25 for five replacement blades.

Triple Razor (available at Drugstore.com and Whole Foods)- $7.49 for one and $7.49 for four replacement blades.

Another option is the Hok2 Wally- as I write this Amazon.com's website is down, and I'm not 100% certain if they sell it on their site or not. It retails about $6.99.
Also available at Vitamin Warehouse

Tips for Helping Your Razor Blades Last Longer:
  1. Save an old toothbrush to use to gently scrub the blades if they are clogged
  2. Use hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to disinfect the blades (also helps prevent razor burn)
  3. Throughly dry razor blades (wipe with towel with the blades and NOT against them-so as not to cut your towel or yourself)
  4. Store your razor in a dry place and NOT in your shower when razor is not in use to prevent rusting and bacteria growth

Take care of your razor and it will last AT LEAST twice as long...





Kiss My Face makes a really moisturizing shaving cream that I like. It is simple (no fancy globs of sparkly gel like some women's shave products) and comes in shareable unisex scents.

Kiss My Face Key Lime Moisture Shave- $7.95 for 11 oz and $4.95 for 4oz
available at Drugstore.com, Whole Foods, and Kiss My Face.com
also comes in Fragrance Free, Lavender & Shea, Cool Mint, Peaceful Patchouli, Peaches & Creme, and Vanilla Earth

1 comment:

  1. Classic shaving using the straight razors or double edge razors means giving myself the closest shave possible with less nicks and cuts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete