Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Be a Responsible Shopaholic...

First and foremost- as always- the most eco-friendly thing you can do is USE WHAT YOU ALREADY HAVE!!!!

Back before my days as a natural makeup addict- I was addicted to plain ol' shopping. I didn't think about the ethical or environmental impact of my purchases... it was just spend, spend, spend.  I told myself ..."just one last purchase, and then I'll be good. I won't buy anything for awhile..." But that never happened. I just kept spending and spending. There came a point when I had to make a conscious choice not to spend. And for me it's a daily thing- not getting caught up in the constant consumerism of our society- not "recreational shopping."


So... I encourage you to shop in your own closet... wear something you bought and LOVED but didn't have the guts to wear. As for that crazy top that doesn't go with anything, bite the bullet and just wear it with black pants or jeans... Learn to sew- it's really not hard. Once you do, you can sew buttons back on, fix teeny tiny holes, and even mend socks (I do this ALL the time for socks that I just wear around the house).  


If you absolutely can't make do with what you have, then just purchase a few basics and bright accessories to spice up your wardrobe. Basics are environmentally friendly because they can be worn more frequently and are less apt to go out of style in a season or two. For fun, colorful clothing items- check out your local Goodwill or a consignment store like Buffalo Exchange or Plato's Closet. Can't wrap your brain around buying used clothing? Find a "gem" of a thrift store in a wealthy area (aka not anywhere near where you live so that no one you know will see you, you silly fraidy-cat!) with loads of designer labels and gorgeous vintage finds. If it's really far from where you live- be conservative about how often you go there. The more impressive the merchandise, the easier it is to get into buying used clothing. (oh- and celebrity stylists do it all the time- so there!)

If you do decide to buy new clothing... here are a few ideas for spring...
 



Necklace from Ten Thousand Villages- $38 This necklace is fair trade- that means that the people who made the necklace were paid a decent wage (i.e. not sweatshop labor).


Also from Ten Thousand Villages $12 Proof that fair trade products don't have to be expensive- this necklace is cheaper than some of the costume jewelry sold at Target. 

Adorable Striped Organic Cotton Tee- Stem $38 available at Nordstrom

Alternative Apparel Organic Cotton Flash Dance Tee $42 (it's even CUTER in purple)

NON-Suede Loafers made from recycled materials (and as far as I know- they're vegan)- Zoe & Zack for Payless $25

 

Sustainable Material Undies- Uranus SoyShorts $25 Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment